Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Titans Play To Tie With Blue Devils

Toria Koch assisted on Ashley Baalke's goal during the 22nd minute of play.
Toria Koch assisted on Ashley Baalke's goal during the 22nd minute of play.

UW-Stout scored twice during the final six minutes of regulation to force overtime and ultimately earn a 2-2 tie with the UW-Oshkosh women's soccer team on Saturday (Oct. 14) in Menomonie.

UW-Oshkosh (6-5-3, 2-0-2 WIAC) took a 1-0 lead on Ashley Baalke's goal in the 22nd minute (21:19) of play. Baalke scored off a corner kick from Toria Koch for her first goal of the season.

The Titans held their one-goal advantage until Alexis Brewer scored off a pass from Kaitlyn Schauer in the game's 55th minute (54:57). Brewer's goal was her second of the season.

UW-Oshkosh appeared to have the match under control, but a pair of UW-Stout goals within a span of 69 seconds late in the second half created extended activity.

UW-Stout (4-5-4, 1-1-3 WIAC) sliced its deficit in half when Kaitlyn Hess rebounded a missed shot from Blue Devil teammate Nikki Sedivy and scored on a short kick in the 85th minute (84:01). The goal by Hess was the first scored against the Titans during their previous 462 minutes played.

Just over a minute later (85:10), UW-Stout struck again to tie the score. The Blue Devils scored when Haley Wentz tipped the ball off a corner kick by Ryanne Millis into the lower portion of the net.

UW-Oshkosh thought it won the match on the last play of the first overtime period, but the officials ruled that its goal entered the net just after time expired.

UW-Oshkosh totaled 11 shots by launching three in the first half and four during both the second half and second overtime session. Baalke, Brewer, Maddie Morris and Addie Schmitz all had two shots apiece for the Titans.

UW-Stout compiled 16 shots by attempting four in the first half, nine in the second half and three in the first overtime period. The Blue Devils were led by the four shots from both Hess and Sydney Kasper.

UW-Oshkosh goalkeeper Jessica Galason saved eight shots, including four in the second half, while UW-Stout goalkeeper Lynn Johnson stopped six shots, including three in the second overtime session.

UW-Stout earned 10 of the game's 16 corner kicks.

UW-Oshkosh remains in second place in the WIAC standings following its tie with UW-Stout. UW-La Crosse leads the WIAC listings with its 5-0 league record while UW-Stevens Point and UW-Whitewater share third place with 2-1-1 marks. All eight WIAC teams will play seven league matches.

UW-Oshkosh plays a pair of WIAC contests this week, visiting UW-Stevens Point on Wednesday (Oct. 18) before hosting UW-Eau Claire on Saturday (Oct. 21).

Photo courtesy of Layne Pitt, UW-Stout Sports Information